COUNSELOR AND COUNSELING AT NLK
Today’s school counselors are vital members of the education team. They help all students in the areas of academic achievement personal/social development and career development, ensuring today’s students become the productive, well-adjusted adults of tomorrow.
Professional school counselorsserve a vital role in maximizing student achievement. Incorporating leadership, advocacy and collaboration, professional school counselors promote equity and access to opportunities and rigorous educational experiences for all students.
A counselor is always there to offer advice to students at crucial turning points in their lives. Whether these counselors work in elementary, middle, or high schools, they are there for students who are going through a difficult time or just need advice and support. A few words from a helpful counselor can profoundly impact a student’s life by improving their outlook on school, family, and the future.
Guidance and counseling are important for children, and schools have a huge role in bringing out the best in children. Good conduct is coveted, but sometimes young minds need guidance to polish their personality. Through counseling, children are given advice on how to manage and deal with emotional conflict and personal problems.
Proper counseling will help incorporate valuable lessons in their daily life. Some sessions should involve career guidance, where the students are advised on the selection of courses and different career paths. It’s important to prepare them for life after school and what to expect in the different fields they might opt for
Following are some of the benefits that students get from effective guidance & counseling:
1. Students are given proper guidance on how to deal with psychological problems which can badly impact their studies. Through these sessions, the students will be able to develop certain problem-solving skills which to an extent help them deal with particular issues surrounding their lives.
2. The students are advised on how to cope with different situations they tend to face in their school life. For instance, how should they talk politely or relate with their peers. This advice will give them perspective on how should they behave in certain scenarios.
3. It helps to shape a student’s behaviour and also instill enough discipline in them. Proper guidance helps them achieve their goals, well guided & counseled students know what to do and how to do things in the best possible way.
4. Students learn how to live in peace and harmony with others in the school community. Thereby, they also learn to appreciate other people in their class.
5. It helps to bridge the gap between students and the school administration, since they are able to guide their problems through a proper counseling channel in the office.
6. Students get comprehensive advice on career, courses and jobs that enable them to make a proper and informed choice and understand what they can do after they are done with school.
7. It allows students to talk to teachers about various experiences that make them uncomfortable. They can openly share problems that they cannot share with their parents.
8. Talks related to alcohol, drugs, personal feelings or any kind of abuse, can be openly discussed. Guidance and counseling also make students better human beings since they are counseled on how to act and behave in a particular situation
9. It enables students undergoing certain difficulties in their lives, to ask questions and clarify them through guiding and counseling. Therefore, counseling helps them ask without any fear since the person in charge is willing to help.